PROVO — A former Ogden deputy fire chief will serve at least seven years in prison for sexually assaulting two young girls at his home in Provo more than three years ago.

Family members hugged and cried in the courtroom after Greg Chamberlain, 63, was sentenced to six years to life in prison for of aggravated sexual abuse of a child, a first-degree felony.

He will also serve one to 15 years in prison for forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony. Judge James Brady ordered the two sentences to run consecutively.

“He should’ve been held to a higher standard. He knew what he was doing was wrong, but selfishly did it for his own satisfaction,” the mother of the girls said at the sentencing.

In July 2018, Springville officers arrested Chamberlain after the mother reported that he sexually abused her two young daughters multiple times at his Provo home.

A 16-year-old girl said Chamberlain was giving her a back rub when he adjusted her clothing and started touching her inappropriately, charging documents reported.

At one point, Chamberlain stayed overnight at the girl’s home and the teenager woke up during the night to find Chamberlain rubbing her back. He then sexually assaulted her until she ran out of the room, according to court documents.

“She disclosed that on that occasion there were hand prints on her arms and legs where (Chamberlain) had held her down,” charging documents state.

The teenager said she told Chamberlain to stop on multiple occasions and he reportedly said “I’m sorry, I just can’t help myself,” according to charges.

An 11-year-old girl also reported that Chamberlain had inappropriately touched her on at least three different occasions.

“No parent likes to see their child in pain and not be able to do anything about it,” the mother said during the sentencing. “I can’t change the past, but I can help my girls move forward.”

Chamberlain pleaded guilty to the charges on March 5. In exchange for the plea deal, three additional charges including forcible sodomy and object rape were dropped.

“I’m just really, really sorry. I don’t have any excuses,” Chamberlain said at the sentencing.

He was handcuffed in the courtroom and taken into custody immediately after the sentencing.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!