Gavel stock

OGDEN — A Pleasant View man pleaded not guilty to an attempted murder charge after allegedly stabbing a friend during a fight at a Roy home in 2016.

Kody Shane Polson, 36, appeared in court Tuesday and entered not guilty pleas to charges of attempted murder, a first-degree felony; and possession of a weapon by a restricted person, a third-degree felony.

Polson was indicted in October 2017, nearly 10 months after he allegedly attacked and stabbed another man at the home of a mutual friend on Dec. 31, 2016.

Initially, Polson was only charged with second-degree felony aggravated assault. Polson pleaded not guilty to the charge during a Feb. 21, 2018 court hearing.

In February of this year, prosecutors filed amended charges against Polson, escalating his charge to attempted murder. The indictment included more details of the alleged attack, and many of those details were echoed during Tuesday’s preliminary hearing.

Polson was present in court and seated beside his two attorneys. He was not in custody, as he posted a $10,000 bond and was released from the Weber County Jail days after his October 2017 arrest.

The hearing began with testimony from the victim, who said he was friends with Polson before the night of Dec. 30, 2016. He added that his family and Polson’s had cut down Christmas trees together just weeks before the attack.

He explained to the court that he, Polson and other friends had gone to another friend’s home in Roy with the intention of having a drink or two before walking home, as the victim’s home was roughly a half mile away. The victim told the court he exited the home after Polson and another man began arguing. Polson, thinking that the victim “should have had his back,” exited the house as well to confront the victim.

The victim said that a few shoves later, Polson allegedly brandished a pocket knife and threatened to stab him. Polson then reached back with the knife, prompting the victim to punch Polson in the face, knocking him down. Others in the home broke up the fight, and the victim later said he was leaving and walked through the home’s garage, according to his testimony.

It was then that the victim heard Polson yell “I’m going to f------ kill you,” he told the court.

Polson appeared to have a knife taken from the kitchen, and approached the victim who was near the open garage door. The victim fell back, accidentally wedging himself between the wall and a snowmobile. Polson allegedly started stabbing.

The victim tried to fight back, but was ultimately stabbed in his left arm, severing a nerve and cutting an artery, which caused him to bleed heavily.

“He said he’ll go back to prison, and he doesn’t care about my life,” the victim said.

He later passed out from the blood loss and woke up hours later in a hospital bed. During his testimony Tuesday, the victim estimated that Polson threatened to kill him around a dozen times during the attack, saying at one point Polson allegedly held the knife to the man’s throat and told him that he did not care about the victim’s life or his family’s lives.

Four surgeries later, the victim said he has lost most of the motor skills in his left hand, and showed the court his inability to move fingers in certain directions. Doctors told him the damage is permanent.

The victim added that he had never seen Polson act violently around anyone before.

The other witness to testify was Roy Police Detective Ryan Reid, who was the lead investigator for the case. Reid arrived on scene shortly after the victim was taken to the hospital, and he noticed a large amount of blood in the garage. Investigators found the knife apparently used in the attack, which the homeowner confirmed to police was a knife from the kitchen.

Reid said that CSI investigators were unable to pull fingerprints or DNA from neither the kitchen knife nor the pocket knife Polson allegedly brandished at the beginning of the fight. He added that all reports related to the case were finished and have been turned over to the Weber County Attorney’s Office.

Judge Michael DiReda determined that there was sufficient evidence to move the case forward toward trial. This prompted Polson’s attorneys to enter not guilty pleas to both charges.

Polson’s next court hearing is scheduled for May 30.

Jacob Scholl is the Cops and Courts Reporter for the Standard-Examiner. Email him at and follow him on Twitter at @Jacob_Scholl.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!