OGDEN — A jury deliberated for three and a half hours Friday before finding Patrick Bobby Galindo Jr. guilty of first-degree felony attempted murder in connection with a 2016 shooting.
At about 1:30 a.m. June 18, 2016, two men walking home from an evening watching live music on 25th Street got into a shouting match with three men who came running across Washington Boulevard to confront them, Weber County Attorney Christopher Shaw said. As the men faced off, witnesses heard four pops, and a 26-year-old man collapsed near 2730 Washington Blvd. with four gunshot wounds to his torso and arm.
Prosecutors spent much of their time in the four-day trial on forensic analysis, with crime scene investigators testifying they found two prints on the magazine of a .22 caliber Beretta discovered near the building at 27th Street and Washington Boulevard, near the spot where three suspects were last seen.
The prints matched Galindo’s, CSI experts testified.
Galindo’s defense attorney, Randy Richards, on Thursday introduced his only witness, Tia Barela. Barela was Galindo’s girlfriend and said she was with him the night of the shooting.
Barela said she and Galindo were in the bathroom “messing around” at a party at an apartment on 27th Street and Washington Boulevard when they heard the yelling that spilled out into the confrontation on the street. Galindo’s friends were calling for him, she said, but she didn’t let him leave, stalling him while she finished getting dressed.
Earlier in the evening, Barela said, at least four male partygoers had been passing around a gun, which she identified as the same weapon prosecutors said matched the bullet casings from the shooting scene.
“Everyone was taking a turn, looking at it,” Barela testified. She said after the yelling, the party emptied out and everyone rushed down the stairs and to the street. She and Galindo left on foot and were picked up by his parents, Barela said.
The shooting victim appeared in court the first and second days of trial, and testified to having identified Galindo as the shooter from a lineup. He did not attend court to hear Friday’s verdict.
Upon hearing the guilty verdict, members of Galindo’s family in the gallery gasped, then quietly sobbed. “I love you, son,” a male voice called out.
One of the charges Galindo originally faced, first-degree felony discharge of a firearm, was dropped. Attorneys Richards and Shaw had agreed to hold a related charge, use of a weapon by a restricted person, from the jury until after their decision on attempted murder. District Court Judge Ernie Jones asked Galindo for his plea.
“Guilty,” Galindo said.
With that plea, Galindo spared the jury another round of short arguments from attorneys on both sides and another verdict.
Outside the courtroom, Galindo’s older sister, Cynthia Galindo, wiped her eyes with a tissue.
“I just want to say, it’s not right to have his life thrown away like this,” she said. “It was just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
Galindo’s sentencing is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Oct. 25.