OGDEN — An Ogden man is in jail after he allegedly set fire to his apartment and was walking near the Ogden Marathon with a loaded shotgun.

Richard Jason Gallegos, 40, was booked in the Weber County Jail on Saturday and is being held on several charges. On Monday, Gallegos was charged with one count of aggravated arson, a first-degree felony, and felony discharge of a firearm, a third-degree felony.

On Saturday, Ogden Police officers working at the Ogden Marathon received word of a “suspicious call regarding a possible bomb threat,” according to a probable cause statement. Officers later spotted a man, who allegedly was carrying a shotgun, who was walking near runners. After a short foot chase, police apprehended the man.

The man arrested, who police later found to be Gallegos, had a shotgun with a single live round in the gun.

After being read his Miranda rights, police interviewed Gallegos, who allegedly told police that his apartment was lit on fire. Police found that Gallegos lived at an apartment complex along the Ogden Marathon route, and an apartment in the complex had been on fire.

Fire crews had to break down the door of the apartment to put out the fire. Investigators found that the fire had reportedly started with a manner consistent with arson, with an accelerant and a lighter found at the scene, according to charging documents.

During the fire, it appeared that some shotgun shells had discharged due to the heat and flames. A witness who lived in the neighboring apartment told police she heard “loud knocking on the wall” then shortly after there was a “loud bang” and a shot fired through the wall into her apartment, according to charging documents. The woman was not hit, but said she possibly had an injury to her ears.

Security cameras at the apartment complex allegedly show Gallegos kicking out the window of his second-floor apartment and jumping out.

The woman in the neighboring apartment later exited her apartment to see what was going on, and by that time Gallegos was out of his apartment. She told police that Gallegos allegedly approached her and demanded the keys to her car. While making demands, Gallegos allegedly brought the shotgun up and pointed it at the woman, then pointed the gun back down to the ground. When she went to get her keys, Gallegos allegedly ran away toward Washington Boulevard. He was arrested by police shortly after.

Charging documents do not make it clear whether or not the alleged bomb threats are connected to Gallegos.

As of Tuesday afternoon, Gallegos is being held at the Weber County Jail in lieu of a $25,000 bail. His initial appearance in court took place Tuesday morning, according to court records.

Gallegos’ next court appearance is scheduled to take place on May 28 in Ogden’s 2nd District Court.

Jacob Scholl is the Cops and Courts Reporter for the Standard-Examiner. Email him at jscholl@standard.net and follow him on Twitter at @Jacob_Scholl.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!