OGDEN — A Morgan man is accused of starting a fire at Lindquist Field and causing thousands of dollars in damages to buildings, merchandise and construction equipment near the stadium in an incident Wednesday morning, Aug. 1.
Trevor L. Flitton, 31, was booked in jail on charges of arson, a second-degree felony; burglary, a third-degree felony; criminal mischief, a second-degree felony; and two misdemeanor offenses.
A man, whom police say is Flitton, broke into the stadium just after midnight and used a propane tank to start a “large fire,” according to charging documents.
When fire crews arrived, they heard a “hissing” noise from an open propane tank valve and there was an “obvious odor of propane,” the document says. Firefighters could hear the propane line from outside the stadium gates.
The fire sparked in the stadium’s main souvenir stand that holds merchandise for the Ogden Raptors, the city’s minor league baseball team and main tenant of Lindquist Field. Firefighters quickly put out the fire.
Charging documents indicate the damaged caused by the fire was more than $1,500 but less than $5,000.
Calls to the Ogden Fire Department for an exact damage estimate were not returned as of Thursday evening.
Investigators say security video footage shows a man breaking into the stadium and entering the gift shop area by kicking in a door, entering with nothing but leaving several minutes later carrying a bag.
Story continues below the photo.
Police say Flitton is also linked to a break-in of a backhoe near 22nd Street and Grant Avenue. Charging documents show police found blood and “new Ogden Raptors merchandise” in the cab of the construction vehicle.
Police say they found Flitton sleeping near the 300 block of 23rd Street, a half-block away from the stadium, with a bag full of Raptors merchandise nearby. Charging documents say Flitton had Raptors merchandise in his pockets, and his clothes and the bag matched those seen on security footage from Lindquist Field.
Flitton is being held at Weber County Jail in lieu of a $28,900 bail.
Since the fire, the Raptors’ front office has cleaned and emptied the damaged gift shop.
Everything in the gift shop was destroyed in the incident due to fire, smoke or water damage, Raptors team president Dave Baggott said in a statement which he will read to fans at Thursday night’s game.
Baggott goes on to say the team hopes the person responsible “gets the proper attention and help” to “become a productive member of our beloved community.”
He also thanked Ogden’s police and fire departments, along with cleanup crews, for their quick response to the fire and burglary.
The team is doing what they can to replace the destroyed merchandise, the statement says.
“Please remember that those are just trinkets, and although some people can take away a few trinkets from us, they will never take away our JOY,” the statement says.
The Raptors begin a four-game homestand Thursday night.