OGDEN — The Weber County Sheriff’s Office says that a man died Wednesday after experiencing medical problems in their booking area.

Police say that 39-year-old Eric Arthur Gavin experienced a “medical episode” while in the Weber County Correctional Facility’s booking area, according to a press release from the Weber County Sheriff’s Office. The Weber County Jail is located just off 12th Street in Ogden.

Jail staff, including custody and medical personnel, attempted life-saving efforts on Gavin before he was taken to a local hospital. He was later pronounced dead, the release says.

Little details were released in the Thursday press release, as the incident is currently under investigation.

Jail reports indicate that Gavin was booked into the jail around 5:35 p.m. Wednesday.

In 2014, Gavin pleaded guilty in a Davis County district court to one count of a third-degree felony charge of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, according to online court records.

On Sept. 10, 2015, he was sentenced to a term of zero to five years in a Utah state prison.

The Utah Board of Pardons and Parole granted Gavin parole just under a year later on Aug. 16, 2016. He was ordered to remain on parole until July 2020, according to parole records.

On Wednesday, the day of his arrest, an arrest warrant was issued by the Board of Pardons and Parole, leading to his arrest and being booked into the Weber County Jail. Hours later, he was dead.

As of Thursday, it was not immediately clear why a warrant was issued for Gavin’s arrest, or what was the nature of the medical issue that ultimately caused his death.

Gavin’s death is the second in-custody death involving the Weber County Jail in 2019. In January, 53-year-old Roger David Campbell died from an apparent suicide days after he was arrested on fraud charges.

The investigation into Campbell’s death indicated that a deputy checked on him minutes before jail personnel found him unresponsive and without a pulse. An arrestee was being led into the cell when he found Campbell hanging inside, according to a jail investigation report.

Jail nurses performed CPR on Campbell, who could not be revived and was pronounced dead by the jail doctor at 6:20 a.m. on Jan. 9.

Jacob Scholl is the Cops and Courts Reporter for the Standard-Examiner. Email him at jscholl@standard.net and follow him on Twitter at @Jacob_Scholl.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!