Standard-Examiner staff

OGDEN — Ogden Police have released body camera footage from an incident earlier this week in which an officer shot a dog, causing an uproar on area social media pages.

At 11:40 a.m. Tuesday, officers responded to a call to a home in the 2400 block of D Avenue to assist workers with Utah Division of Child and Family Services, who had received a report of unsafe conditions for children in the home.

A large pit bull approached officers when they arrived on scene and was shot after it attacked one of the officers, OPD said in its initial release.

The owners of the dog posted a video on Facebook of the aftermath of the shooting, showing the dog with a bloody muzzle and bullet wound, creating a stir on social media.

OPD released a more detailed report of the incident on Friday along with the body camera footage. Police also conducted an investigation, which is required when an aggressive animal is shot, and found that department polices and procedures were followed, OPD said in the release.

“The Ogden Police Department is sensitive to the concerns of the public in regards to the shooting of dogs, but also recognizes that sometimes situations arise in the course of an officer’s duties which require an officer to shoot a dog in order to protect themselves or a third party,” the release said.

As seen in the footage, the dog was attached to a truck in the driveway by a cable when Ogden officers J. Beck and J. Grimes approach the home.

When asked if the dog was nice, a male at the home said it was not and that he’d take it inside, OPD said. However, before he could get to the dog, it reportedly attacked Grimes, continuing to make “physical contact” and “trying to bite him.”

In the video, one of the officers can be heard asking, “Is the dog nice?” while another whistles at the dog shortly before it lunges toward Grimes just off screen.

The attack lasted approximately four seconds before Grimes can be seen drawing his gun and firing a round.

“Officer Grimes was attempting to get away from the dog but could not because the dog continued the attack,” police said in the release. “Officer Grimes drew his duty firearm and fired one round. After being struck by the bullet, the dog continued the attack until reaching the end of the cable, then ceased attacking and retreated.”

The incident lasted 26 seconds in total.

The dog was taken into custody with a muzzle by Ogden Animal Services and was transported to a local veterinary hospital where it was treated for superficial injuries and returned to its owner, police said.

Lindsy Maestas, one of the dog’s owners, told the Standard-Examiner earlier this week that there were two police officers, and one officer asked her boyfriend to put the dog inside. When the boyfriend walked to get the dog, the other officer “felt threatened,” took out his gun and shot the dog while the boyfriend was walking to get the dog.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!