Gregory Hayes jail death

Gregory Hayes, 33, of Layton, pictured here with his children, died at the Davis County Jail on Dec. 14, 2017, authorities said. Sheriff Todd Richardson said Hayes was in the jail's intake area going through the booking process when he died. Farmington Police Chief Wayne Hansen said his office is investigating the death. Court records show Hayes had been in and out of jail several times in 2016 and 2017 on felony DUI and misdemeanor drug possession charges.

FARMINGTON — Police are investigating the death of a 33-year-old man who collapsed in the Davis County Jail’s booking area on Dec. 14, 2017, law enforcement officials say.

Gregory Leigh Hayes died in the jail intake area, where inmates are screened for substance abuse and mental health issues, Sheriff Todd Richardson said.

RELATED: Davis jail death plaintiff blasts secrecy and 'callousness'

Farmington Police Chief Wayne Hansen said his agency is investigating the death. Most often with county jail deaths in Utah, an independent agency, such as a city police department or another sheriff’s office, is brought in to investigate because of the county’s conflict of interest.

County Attorney Troy Rawlings said he was aware of the death and investigation but had no other information.

Hansen said investigators are waiting for toxicology test results from the Utah Office of the Medical Examiner. The state office has been saddled with a large backlog, resulting in some death investigations being delayed a year or more.

Susan Johnson of Layton, Hayes’ mother, said she learned of her son's death when a police officer came to her door. She said she has been able to glean little about the circumstances of Hayes’ death.

She has retained an attorney to look into the case.

Gregory Leigh Hayes

Gregory Leigh Hayes, 33, in a Davis County Jail booking photo taken Dec. 13, 2017, just hours before his death. Sheriff Todd Richardson said Hayes died in the jail's intake area, where inmates are screened for mental health and substance abuse issues. Farmington police are investigating the death. Court records show Hayes had a history of drug-related arrests.

Records show six people who were in the Davis jail’s custody died in 2016. Utah jails had 24 deaths overall, a 17-year high. According to federal statistics in 2015, Utah led the nation in per-capita jail deaths.

Hayes’ death apparently was the first one in 2017 related to Davis jail custody.

Utah jails are not required by law to report in-custody deaths. The deaths become public knowledge usually only after a family member of the deceased goes to the news media.

State lawmakers are considering legislation this year on prison and jail transparency.

ARCHIVE: Investigating Utah jail deaths

According to court records, Hayes had a history of drug-related problems.

He pleaded guilty to misdemeanor theft and vehicle burglary charges in Bountiful in November 2016, then was arrested on a felony DUI charge in May 2017, and pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor trespass charge in Layton in early October 2017.

After the DUI arrest, Hayes was in and out of the Davis jail the rest of the year, going through the process of applying to participate in drug court. By completing a drug court treatment program of a year to 18 months, a defendant may have the charges dismissed.

On Oct. 18, 2017, Centerville police found Hayes lying against the side of a restaurant. They said he was incoherent. The police report said he had two bottles of prescription medicine, and officers arrested him for intoxication. Officers said they found a bag of methamphetamine when Hayes emptied his pockets.

The day before Hayes’ death, 2nd District Judge John R. Morris signed an order allowing Hayes to be released from jail pending a drug court plea hearing scheduled for Dec. 19.

It was not clear when Hayes may have been released from jail and how he came to be picked up again that evening for re-booking.

The jail booking log says he was arrested at 7:20 p.m. Dec. 13 and booked at 10:48 p.m.

Another order signed by Morris and dated Dec. 14 called for Hayes to be held without bail.

Johnson said her son had lived in Layton but was “basically homeless” when he died.

You can reach reporter Mark Shenefelt at Follow him on Twitter at @mshenefelt and like him on Facebook at 

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!