OGDEN — An Ogden man is accused of setting his apartment on fire then reporting the fire to police.

David Clarence Wisniewski, 36, was charged Wednesday with one count of aggravated arson, a first-degree felony.

Fire crews were alerted to a structure fire at an apartment complex in the 600 block of Ogden’s 23rd Street around 6:45 p.m. Wednesday, according to a press release from the Ogden Fire Department.

When they arrived, fire crews could see “heavy fire and smoke” coming from a window of one of the apartments, according to the release. Crews were able to extinguish the fire, and all occupants of the building were able to safely exit without injury.

The estimated damage to the apartment building is roughly $20,000, according to fire officials. A total of 21 firefighters from the Ogden and Roy fire departments were at the scene of the fire.

Police were en route to the fire when dispatchers reportedly received a call from Wisniewski, who was “stating that he did it intentionally,” according to charging documents.

Police arrived and located Wisniewski, who was placed in handcuffs and detained shortly thereafter. When police asked Wisniewski if he was alright, they allegedly got more than they bargained for.

“David responded by launching into a long explanation of how he’d gone to a neighboring home, retrieved a gas can, and returned to the apartment at with the intent to set it on fire. David continued on, detailing how he’d poured the gasoline on the mattress in his bedroom and attempted to light it before finally lighting the carpet and fleeing the apartment before calling dispatch to report the fire,” police allege in charging documents.

Wisniewski is being held without bail at the Weber County Jail. His initial court appearance is scheduled for Friday morning at Ogden’s 2nd District Court.

Jacob Scholl is the Cops and Courts Reporter for the Standard-Examiner. Email him at jscholl@standard.net and follow him on Twitter at @Jacob_Scholl.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!