Detective Jeff Payne handcuffs University of Utah nurse for not drawing a patient's blood

Body camera footage from the Salt Lake City Police Department shows nurse Alex Wubbels being dragged out of the University of Utah hospital and placed in handcuffs by SLC Police Detective Jeff Payne after she refused to draw blood on an unconscious patient on July 26, 2017.

OGDEN — The Weber County Sheriff’s Office has hired a former Salt Lake City police detective who was fired after handcuffing a nurse in a dispute over drawing blood from an unconscious patient.

Jeff Payne, who earlier in his career worked for the Ogden Police Department and the Davis County Sheriff’s Office, was hired Aug. 9 by the Weber sheriff for part-time duty, the Sheriff’s Office confirmed Wednesday.

Payne’s hire, first reported by The Salt Lake Tribune, comes in the wake of the Weber sheriff’s hiring of another high-profile fired detective, Kayla Dallof.

She was fired by the University of Utah Police Department after failing to adequately follow up on reports of threats to two students, including Lauren McCluskey, who was murdered by Melvin Rowland, according to the Tribune.

Payne was hired as a part-time civilian corrections assistant and is assigned to the medical unit in the county jail, the Sheriff’s Office said in a Facebook post.“Mr. Payne was not hired as, and is not employed as, a law enforcement or corrections officer,” the statement said.

Payne underwent a background check, the Sheriff’s Office stated.

“We did not see anything that would preclude us from hiring him as a part-time civilian employee,” the statement said. “We acknowledge the concerns raised from the incident at the University of Utah.”

Payne handcuffed U of U Hospital nurse Alex Wubbels on July 26, 2017, after she told officers they needed a warrant before they could draw blood from an injured patient.

Hospital policy as well as federal law specify that blood can’t be taken and given to law enforcement unless the patient consents, is under arrest or there is a warrant for the blood draw.

Payne accused Wubbels of impeding an investigation, then handcuffed and arrested her. Police video showed the tense confrontation and the nurse’s apparent rough handling by Payne.

Salt Lake Police officials put Payne on administrative leave while they investigated the incident. Two months later, Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown fired Payne and demoted another officer who was involved for violating department policy.

The Weber Sheriff’s Office did not return messages seeking further comment.

You can reach reporter Mark Shenefelt at or 801 625-4224. Follow him on Twitter at @mshenefelt.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!