It's about that time for high school football in Utah.
We've got you covered with team previews, schedules, facts and portraits for 19 teams from high schools in Northern Utah ahead of the 2019 prep season, which kicks off Friday, Aug. 16.
Plus, a look at the new playoff format: how exactly are seeds decided and what do coaches think about it? We've got your breakdown.
Fill up with that story, plus team previews from Bear River to Woods Cross.
For many years, a team that wanted to qualify for the playoffs in Utah high school sports had to finish in a certain place in its region, norm…
GARLAND — It was a loud and busy summer at Bear River High and one could catch a glimpse of it all from the football field.
OGDEN — On a mid-July evening, the sun lit up the Wasatch Mountain Range and provided a stunning backdrop for Ben Lomond High’s football practice.
WASHINGTON TERRACE — When all five of your offensive linemen return from the prior season, that’s a good thing.
CLEARFIELD — From 1990 to 2007, the Clearfield High football team qualified for the state playoffs in all but one season.
KAYSVILLE — Everyone saw what happened when Davis High had a full offseason with its coaching staff and players working together.
FARMINGTON — Ask anyone around Farmington High’s football program during last year’s inaugural season and they would’ve acknowledged the expec…
PLAIN CITY — For the second year in a row, Fremont High has a brand-new set of starting offensive linemen.
LAYTON — The bad news for the Layton Lancers was they went 2-7 last year and finished in sixth place in a region of seven teams.
LAYTON — There might not be a more challenging head football coaching job at the high school level than at Layton Christian Academy.
MORGAN — Usually, attrition in high school classes results in a big sophomore class, a smaller junior class and an even smaller senior class.
LAYTON — Anyone who caught a Northridge High football game last season could tell you at least one thing: all hell broke loose on offense for …
ROY — Back in December when the Utah High School Activities Association finalized the latest realignment, those involved in Weber County high …
SYRACUSE — It was odd for everyone to see the Syracuse Titans not in the state football playoffs in 2018.
BOUNTIFUL — Viewmont High’s football coaches and players knew the Vikings were going to take a big hit to their team depth in 2019 a year afte…
PLEASANT VIEW — They’ve won the Region 1 championship two straight years. They’ve gone to the state quarterfinals two straight years.
Watch for the Standard-Examiner's special Northern Utah Prep Football Preview, publishing Sunday, Aug. 11.
23 updates to this series since
- Police find Brigham City man passed out drunk after attack on girlfriend
- Man pulls gun on Ogden grocery store employees
- Clearfield woman jailed after double stabbing and brawl
- Davis School District working on pilot plan to reduce COVID-19 closure time
- Upgraded charges filed against man in 14-shot attack on people in Ogden
- Tremonton man charged with allegedly raping woman after summer swim outing
- Man allegedly threatens to kill food delivery person 'to protect his country'
- Shot fired in argument at tire shop, Ogden man arrested
- Sunset woman charged with three felonies in St. George road rage incident
- Weber County man arrested in child sexual enticement case
- Utah cop who shoved man walking with cane won't face charges (copy)
- Utah Jazz open NBA season Dec. 23 at Portland
- Roy intersection focus of planned upgrade ahead of larger 5600 South overhaul
- Ogden man who killed son, then read Bible and watched religious program, pleads guilty
- Layton woman charged in escape from police, dash onto I-15
- Weber County's three ski resorts make adjustments to contend with COVID-19
- Fischer: Don't get scammed by fake rental listings
- Ben Lomond High's sparkling new athletic facility is up and running after girls basketball opener