Check out the second Standard-Examiner winter sports rankings of the season for girls and boys basketball.
-- Patrick Carr, Standard-Examiner sports reporter
Last week: 1
If it's not one senior guard, it's the other. That's what Fremont's (4-0) opponents found out last week. In the overtime win over state title contender Skyridge, Dallin Hall scored 28 points with eight rebounds and eight assists. In the comeback win at Woods Cross, it was Baylor Harrop scoring 29 on 11-of-14 shooting with seven boards.
Last week: 2
Then Lancers (3-0) have their home opener Tuesday against Ridgeline, which is a tricky matchup given the fact the Riverhawks played Fremont very well last week. In both their wins last week, Layton had four players in double-figure scoring.
3. Woods Cross
Last week: 3
Woods Cross (3-1) had a tough win over Skyridge followed by a 27-point win at Northridge and a close home loss to Fremont. The Wildcats get two Region 1 teams this week, Roy and Clearfield.
Last week: 4
Not so quietly, Davis (3-0) has won all three games by double digits: 15, 24 and 26. The leading scorer is senior Spencer Vernon, who averages 19 points per game on 62% shooting.
Last week: NR
One had to figure the Warriors (2-2) would get off the ground sooner rather than later. If they get consistent outside shooting from Cache Clark and good post play by Max Triplett, Weber could be a de-facto favorite to finish in the top half of the region.
Farmington (3-1) will probably jump back into the rankings at some point. Three games between Tuesday-Friday await the Phoenix again this week. Sophomore Collin Chandler's averaging 22.5 points, 5.8 assists and 5.3 rebounds per game.
Last week: 1
Last week, Fremont (4-0) faced a defending state champion and two defending state runner-ups. All the Silverwolves did was beat Bingham by 27, get a game-winning coast-to-coast layup by Halle Duft at Copper Hills and outlast a good guard-driven Ridgeline team Friday. They're winning with balance: Timea Gardiner, Emma Calvert and Maggie Mendelson are all averaging 11-plus points and five-plus rebounds per game. Region play starts this week at Roy because of the Nike Tournament of Champions next week.
Last week: 2
Chalk up two more wins for the Phoenix (2-0), who face two winless teams (Hillcrest and Jordan) this week. Junior guard Abigail Ferrell is averaging 20.8 points per game, shooting 65% and pulling in four steals and 3.8 rebounds per game too. Head coach Van Price is up to 492 career coaching wins, eight behind former Ogden head coach Phil Russell (500) for most all time in Utah.
Last week: 3
Kylee Mabry leads the region in scoring average with 17.3 points per game, coming mostly inside the arc. The Darts (4-0) look really strong with their four wins coming by 26, 26, 34 and 11 points. Davis is at Bonneville on Tuesday.
Last week: 4
Also off to a good start is Syracuse (4-0), which just claimed the title of champion at the Morgan Winter Invitational. No team has cracked 40 points against the Titans, which started 5-0 last year before losing to Ridgeline, which they play this Friday on the road.
Last week: 5
Yes, Layton is 1-2 to start the year, but consider the fact Lancers have probably played the toughest schedule of anyone. Their first three opponents (Woods Cross, Farmington, Pleasant Grove) are a combined 11-1. As seen with the RPI in football, if a team plays a tough schedule early on, that helps a ton when the brackets come out.
Through four games, Ogden (2-2) freshman Ashley Christensen is averaging 15 points per game.
- U.S. Marshal's strike team shoot, kill North Ogden murder suspect in Salt Lake; Herriman K-9 also killed
- Ogden man charged in alleged severe beating of 1-year-old son
- After more than three decades, plan for southeast Ogden getting modernized
- Old Defense Depot Ogden headquarters building coming down, officials say too costly to salvage
- Harrisville man accused of raping girl in Salt Lake County, possessing drugs during arrest
- Ogden teen again pleads not guilty to murder charge connected to fatal Layton home invasion from 2018
- Home Depot files counterclaim against woman who sued after getting stuck with $125,000 in stolen gift cards
- MacCool's, under new ownership, looks to the future with Irish pub food
- North Ogden leaders nix 166-unit apartment proposal, leery of overdevelopment
- Layton shooting report: Man shot 3 times by DHS, ICE agent after ramming car into other vehicles
- By BEN DORGER, Standard-Examiner
Fremont High takes on Davis High on Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2020, in a girls basketball game at Davis High School.
- Box Elder resident with shotgun stops car theft after road rage and car chase
- Ogden neighbors say there's an apparition up there in the mountains — D.J.
- LDS online handbook drops, acknowledges transgender individuals
- Plaintiffs' attorneys take aim at Boy Scouts' `dark history'
- Fun things to do in the coming week
- Plan Ahead for Feb. 20
- The Week Ahead for Feb. 20
- Purity Ring joins Ogden Twilight 2020 roster