OGDEN — One of the acts in the strange show that played out across the Big Sky on Saturday night came in Ogden with Weber State men’s basketball hosting Southern Utah.

Jerrick Harding scored 27 points but the Thunderbirds rallied to force overtime, then scored on 10 of 11 possessions in the extra period to leave the Dee Events Center crowd stunned by claiming a 90-82 victory over the Wildcats.

“There’s no X’s and O’s, there’s no this defense, that offense, it was nothing to do with that — it had everything to do with our edge mentally and we just didn’t have it tonight,” WSU head coach Randy Rahe said.

As it turned out, two misses to end regulation were the deciders for Weber State (9-6, 3-1 Big Sky). With the clock ticking down and the game tied 70-70, Harding drove and floated a 14-footer that rimmed out.

The ball batted around several players before finding Zach Braxton, who pushed up a quick attempt that missed just before the horn.

Southern Utah (6-7, 1-3) took control in overtime with a pair of clutch 3-pointers. The first came from Dre Marin, who rose and hit a tough trey over Caleb Nero to put SUU up 75-73 early in the extra frame.

With 1:20 left, Weber tried extending a trap defense and couldn’t scramble quickly enough when the ball found Brandon Better on the right wing. His triple was pure and put SUU up 83-76, effectively ending the game.

“For a long time, they’ve been as good as any program and ... in this house, it’s very difficult to win,” SUU coach Todd Simon said. “So for our guys ... it’s a big boost that if you can do it here, you can carry it over and get a little more consistency.”

Simon said his team rediscovered its identity defensively, playing much tougher than it had in Big Sky play. Rahe said Weber was lethargic and didn’t have enough energy offensively.

“They brought the game to us and we weren’t the same team we had been the last 3-4 games ... we didn’t have the same edge, the same urgency ... and we let our guard down a little bit,” Rahe said. “You can’t do that in this league against any team.”

The upset came on the same night as Portland State’s 77-74 overtime win at Montana, sending the league’s table into early upheaval. Northern Colorado sits at the top at 3-0, squeaking by Idaho in overtime at home, with Weber, Montana and Montana State at 3-1.

Marin was one of three Thunderbirds to score 18 points, joining Cameron Oluyitan and Andre Adams. Better finished with 15. The two big 3-pointers in overtime belied the fact that SUU shot 6 of 20 from deep in the game.

Harding added two steals for WSU to remain one of the league’s top ball thieves. Cody John scored 17 points and grabbed five boards. Brekkott Chapman totaled 11 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks, and Zach Braxton grabbed five offensive rebounds on his way to 11 points and 11 rebounds.

WSU is now 8-2 at home against SUU under Rahe, the previous loss coming in 2015 when the Wildcats finished eighth in the Big Sky.

The Wildcats next travel to play Portland State on Saturday, Jan. 12.

Contact Brett Hein at bhein@standard.net. Follow him on Twitter @bhein3/@WeberHQ and at facebook.com/WeberStateSports.

Brett Hein is the sports editor and covers Weber State sports for the Standard-Examiner.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!