homepage logo

Deloss Walter Everton

Aug 24, 2023

March 27, 1934 — August 12, 2023

After years of mental decline from Alzheimer’s disease the soul of W7TEU, also known as Deloss Everton, signed off, released his earthly body, and traveled the air waves to Heaven. He was reunited with his sweetheart of 53 years, Lois Ann Morrison, his mother, Arda Roberts Everton, his father, Walter Cecil Everton, and a brother whom he’d never met, Ardus, who was stillborn.

Deloss was born in Logan, Utah but at the age of two his parents moved to Brigham City, Utah, the charming small town with tree-lined streets and famous for growing delicious cherries and peaches. Brigham City was his favorite place in the world, the center of his happy memories, the place he always returned to. His parents purchased a mattress factory located at 24 East 100 South in Brigham City. In this family business he learned to work. His first paid job was tying mattress tufts, five cents per bundle of tufts. He was 7 years old.

He grew up on 400 East near John Adams’ horse barns in the hollow along Box Elder Creek (now John Adams Park). He and a pack of boyhood friends played and explored in this “wild” land. They played in the creek and the irrigation ditch. They made campfires and roasted potatoes and had campouts with their Scout Master, Lee Nelson. In the winter they slid down on sleds through the rocks toward the river. As they grew older, they hiked up the mountain. Then they moved on to adventuring in a WWII Jeep rebuilt by Deloss’ dad. His Jeep stories were the best! His daughters often begged him to tell how he lost the Jeep in a flash flood.

He attended Lincoln Elementary School and graduated from Box Elder High School in 1952. In 1954 he graduated from Weber State College and earned a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from Utah State University in 1966.

While at Weber State he went on a geology department field trip to the red rock desert of Southern Utah. During the inevitable hijinxs of a co-ed college campout Deloss noticed a gorgeous, vivacious girl named Lois. She noticed him too. She loaded his sleeping bag with rocks. He chased after her, but the prickly pear cactus caught his bare feet before he caught her! In 1957 they married in the Salt Lake Temple.

Deloss was a devoted member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He served as Ward and Stake Clerks, Young Men Leader, Home Teacher, Nursery Leader, Family History Center Technical Specialist, Temple Worker, Ward Emergency Preparedness Leader, and fulfilled two missions: one as a young man in Okmulgee, Oklahoma in the Central States Mission, the second was with Lois to Gadsden, Alabama.

He was a very creative and curious person who loved to figure out how things worked. He was a fix-it guy. He built mattresses, upholstered furniture and car seats, sewed covers and tarps for huge boats and trucks, repaired televisions and radios, was an engineer for a radio station, an electrical engineer for Litton Industries in San Carlos, California and Pearson Electronics in Palo Alto, California, and an electrical engineer in Test Area for Thiokol now Northrup Grumman.

His hobbies included photography and genealogy, but his greatest passion was Ham Radio. He first learned about this way of communication when he was 13 years old. He read and studied and built a crystal set but struggled to learn to key Morse code fast enough to earn his FCC amateur radio and commercial radio operators licenses until he took code class from James Dalley at Weber College. He was active in Box Elder County Ham Radio Club. He helped coordinate safety communications for city and county events such as parades and bike races, and trained with the Emergency Services in the county. He taught Amateur license test preparatory classes for the county. Deloss held the highest level earned in the Ham Radio world, Level 3 Amateur Extra. His call sign is W7TEU.

Deloss was a man of service. He upholstered the theatre seats for the Heritage Theatre and printed their tickets for many years. He delivered Meals on Wheels until four months before his death. He was very compassionate and kind to all who needed help.

He tenderly cared for Lois through years of illness and dementia. She passed away in 2010. He met Karen Schriever at the Senior Center. They married on St. Patrick’s Day in 2011 and enjoyed eleven years of companionship.

He lived 89 good years and is deeply missed by his wife, Karen; his daughters: DeAnn Everton Lester (Dean), Lori Everton Pomeroy (Marty), Elizabeth Everton Dickey (John), and Rena Everton Ferguson (Shaun); his siblings: LaDee Everton Jensen (Gale), Denice Everton Jensen (Robert) and Randy Everton (Marilyn); 14 grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren plus one on the way.

The family would like to give a special thanks to the wonderful staff at Beehive Home of Perry Memory Care Assisted Living and to Bristol Hospice for helping Deloss have a dignified and loving end-of-life experience.

As per his wishes, there will be no viewing or formal funeral service. The family will hold an intimate celebration of his life at a later date.

Condolences to the family may be expressed at www.myers-mortuary.com.