homepage logo

6A girls basketball playoffs: Fremont survives 2OT game, advances to 6th straight semifinal

By Patrick Carr - Prep Sports Reporter | Feb 28, 2023
1 / 3
Fremont guard Charli Hunt, center, drives the lane against Mountain Ridge in a 6A girls basketball quarterfinal Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2023, at the Dee Events Center in Ogden.
2 / 3
Fremont guard Sierra Eddie (12) sets up for a 3-pointer against Mountain Ridge's Jessica Maynard (30) in a 6A girls basketball quarterfinal Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2023, at the Dee Events Center in Ogden.
3 / 3
Fremont's Aly Coombs, center, turns to shoot against Mountain Ridge in a 6A girls basketball quarterfinal Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2023, at the Dee Events Center in Ogden.

OGDEN — The third time was the charm. All three times were excruciating for Fremont High’s girls basketball team and its fans.

After twice gaining and blowing late leads in regulation and then overtime, the Silverwolves got another late lead in double overtime in their 6A state quarterfinal against Mountain Ridge. ‘Here we go again’ may have been the prevailing thought for some people wearing blue and black in the Dee Events Center.

This time, the double-overtime lead was by enough points. This time, there wasn’t enough time left for the No. 4 Sentinels to come back.

Fremont survived — almost by the literal definition — a late-night, 73-65, double-overtime quarterfinal Tuesday and plays No. 1 seed and defending champion Lone Peak at 3 p.m. Thursday back at the Dee Events Center.

The No. 5 Silverwolves advance to their sixth straight state semifinal but somewhat unexpectedly, given they returned just one starter from last year’s team, and the previous four teams had lofty preseason expectations whereas this year’s group didn’t.

“We did not even expect this, and as the season progressed and as the roles got filled because they started playing better together, the expectations started to grow and I think they realized that ‘Hey, I think we can do this,'” Fremont coach Lisa Dalebout said.

The first time the Sentinels came back Tuesday night, they erased a 54-49 Fremont lead, had two chances in the final seconds to win and didn’t.

The second comeback saw the Silverwolves cough up a 60-54 overtime lead. Sophomore post Kaidance King made two free throws with 9.5 seconds left to give Fremont a 62-60 lead.

MR’s Addy Horsley then got fouled at the other end by King with 0.7 seconds left and made both free throws, and to double overtime the late-night game went.

The Sentinels started the second overtime with a 3-pointer. Fremont scored 11 straight points afterward.

“It was a long game but we’re ready for the next one,” Fremont point guard Charli Hunt said.

The win came on a night where Fremont weathered a 2-of-11 shooting game from its best shooter, Sierra Eddie, a six-turnover game from point guard Charli Hunt, 23 turnovers as a team and a determined performance from a talented Mountain Ridge (19-6) squad with zero seniors.

Hunt made up for a rough start against constant pressing and trapping by totaling 16 points and seven rebounds, constantly attacking off the dribble and continuing a season-long evolution that’s seen her become an attacking point guard.

Throughout the game, Hunt made critical baskets, all sandwiched around a puff from her inhaler in front of the bench in overtime.

“I was gassed, let’s just say that. My lungs took a lot of that, just gotta get back into it,” Hunt said.

Aly Coombs led all scorers with 21 points to go with 11 rebounds for Fremont, shooting 7 of 11 at the foul line and 7 of 17 from the field.

In the second overtime, Coombs made 3 of 4 free throws and crucially dove for an offensive rebound that eventually resulted in Hunt shooting a free throw.

“The game’s not over, you gotta keep fighting and we know we can do this,” Coombs said.

Fremont had 10 first-half turnovers, most of them committed early in the first quarter when the Silverwolves fell behind 12-4, wilted against the Mountain Ridge press and simultaneously looked lost on defense.

Substitute Kale Brian scored on a fast break via Coombs’ bounce pass, then scored on a putback and later made a corner 3 that gave Fremont a 13-12 lead going to the second quarter.

Brian scored 11 points and shot 5 of 6, making Fremont’s only 3-pointer (the Silverwolves shot 1 for 10 from downtown) and earned praise from Fremont coach Lisa Dalebout afterward.

That lead became 19-12, a 15-0 run in total, but later became a 29-29 halftime tie. Neither team led by more than a basket in the third quarter.

Hunt’s scoop shot followed by two Coombs free throws made it 52-47 Fremont late in the fourth quarter. Hunt’s runner in the lane made it 54-49 moments later.

Mountain Ridge stormed back. Horsley went to the line with the Sentinels down 54-53, made the first, missed the second, but MR was fouled on the rebound and had another chance to win on an inbound play with 3.4 seconds left.

They traveled on the inbounds, and Fremont’s full-court attempt fell short.

Again, the Silverwolves went ahead in overtime, 60-54, after baskets by Brian, Hunt and King.

Again, the Sentinels came back. Horsley went 2 for 2 at the line and MR scored on two steals and runouts to tie the game at 60 — setting up the clutch, late-overtime free-throw makes by King and Horsley.

“It was a little rough but we pulled it together in the end and got our crap together, I guess, in that second overtime, and pulled it out,” Coombs said.

Mountain Ridge shot 20 of 63 (31.7%) in the game, and just made one shot in the second overtime, the early 3.

Everything else was a rushed shot at the basket that Fremont happily rebounded and either took to the other end or held for the eventual foul call and free throws.

Fremont shot 26 of 55 (47.3%), won the rebounding battle 51-31 and shot 20 of 30 at the line.

Hunt said it was “awful” to sit around, think about and wait all day for the 9:10 p.m. tipoff. But the relief was worth the wait, even if two overtime periods extended it.

Now, the Silverwolves will play in their sixth straight state semifinal, this time against a No. 1 Lone Peak team that they lost to in last year’s title game in double overtime at BYU’s Marriott Center.

The Knights are 21-3 and dismantled Westlake 72-39 in the quarterfinals earlier Tuesday night, just two weeks after surviving 55-46 against the Thunder.

Connect with reporter Patrick Carr via email at pcarr@standard.net, Twitter @patrickcarr_ and Instagram @standardexaminersports.


Join thousands already receiving our daily newsletter.

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)