WSU Arts/Science in the Parks programs return with scaled-down schedule
OGDEN — Enthusiasm is growing for Weber State University’s Arts in the Parks and Science in the Parks programs in spite of a reduced schedule in 2023, organizers say.
Each program will include three weeks of hands-on learning for kids in the arts and sciences across various parks.
Amanda Gentry, director of Science in the Parks, told the Standard-Examiner that the programs are working with a reduced schedule this year.
“It usually runs six weeks, but this year, Ogden School District is a little bit short-staffed, so we’re only doing three weeks,” she said. “But we are planning on going to a couple of venues like the farmer’s market, the Treehouse Museum and maybe the dinosaur park.”
The schedules also correspond with the school district’s free summer lunch program.
In spite of the shorter schedule this year, Gentry said 300-400 students are expected to participate.
“This year’s program is going to be one of our strongest because we have so many students that are working for us,” she said. “We also have a lot of clubs this year with students that are really, really interested.”
Kathryn MacKay, director of Arts in the Parks, told the Standard-Examiner that the program is a joy to put on.
“We just have a great time putting together visual arts, drama and we’ve had very wonderful support from various persons in the community,” she said. “It’s just been a great program thorough the years.”
She said they’re expecting around 100 kids per park.
Daily activities for Arts in the Parks include:
- Mondays: visual arts with collages and sculptures.
- Tuesdays: literary arts with storytelling by Rachel Hedman, treasure maps and bookmaking.
- Wednesdays: dance and drums with Deja Mitchell, tambourines and dance streamers.
- Thursdays: theater with Alan Griffin, masks, hats and puppets.
- Fridays: music with banjos, rain sticks and maracas.
Daily activities for Science in the Parks include:
- Mondays: see it.
- Tuesdays: hear it.
- Wednesdays: build it.
- Thursdays: move it.
- Fridays: feel it.
Dates and locations for Arts in the Parks:
- June 5-9 at Lorin Farr Park, 769 Canyon Road, Ogden.
- June 12-16 at Monroe Park, 850 30th St., Ogden.
- June 20-23 at West Ogden Park, 751 W. 24th St., Ogden.
Dates and locations for Science in the Parks:
- June 12-16 at Lorin Farr Park, 769 Canyon Road, Ogden.
- June 20-23 at Monroe Park, 850 30th St., Ogden.
- June 26-30 at West Ogden Park, 751 W. 24th St., Ogden.
No activities will be held June 19 in commemoration of Juneteenth.
For more information, visit https://bit.ly/43l8oyG.