homepage logo

Former crime scene investigator pleads guilty to child sex offenses

By Mark Shenefelt - | Jul 28, 2022

Photo supplied, Davis County Jail

Marc Swain

FARMINGTON — A former crime scene investigator has pleaded guilty to sexually abusing a preteen girl and secretly recording nude video of her. In return for the admissions, prosecutors have agreed to drop several other felony charges.

Marc Swain, 49, of Ogden, pleaded guilty to sexual abuse of a child and sexual exploitation of a minor, both second-degree felonies. Plea documents filed in 2nd District Court last week said Swain admitted to touching the genitals of the child sometime in 2020 and recorded video of the girl while she was naked in a bathroom in 2020 or 2021.

Swain initially was charged with those two counts and six others, including first-degree felony sexual abuse of a child; second- and third-degree felony counts of sexually exploiting a child; and third-degree felony counts of electronic voyeurism.

The plea agreement signed by the Davis County Attorney’s Office and defense attorney Tara Isaacson said prosecutors are free to argue at sentencing that Swain be ordered to serve consecutive terms for the crimes. State law says a second-degree felony conviction carries a sentence of one to 15 years in prison. Judge Michael DiReda set sentencing for Sept. 21.

Ogden police were called to Swain’s home in early 2021 after the girl reported to her mother that she found a hidden USB camera in her bathroom. Swain was investigated by Layton police after the Ogden Police Department referred the case to the other agency because of Swain’s professional ties in Ogden.

Swain was an investigator with Ogden Metro Crime Scene Investigations. The Weber County Sheriff’s Office put Swain on leave after his arrest and he later lost the job.

The exploitation and voyeurism charges were filed in March 2021. After further investigation, prosecutors in August filed the sexual abuse allegations.

Swain had been out of jail on bail for several months after the initial charges. But after the sex abuse allegations arose, DiReda ruled that Swain would be incarcerated pending trial. Swain had expressed suicidal inclination and retrieved a gun from his home when he learned that sexual abuse charges were pending, according to court records. Police took the gun from him and he was involuntarily committed for psychiatric evaluation for a few days.


Join thousands already receiving our daily newsletter.

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)