SOUTH OGDEN — Police are still sifting through evidence after a shooting left two people dead and put a third in the hospital.

Officers responded to a call at 7:58 p.m. Friday, Dec. 9, and found two men, the “apparent victims of a homicide,” in a home at 3636 Ogden Ave., South Ogden Police Sgt. Wil DeHart said. A third man was seriously injured and taken to the hospital, he said.

When officers arrived at the home, only the three victims were inside, South Ogden Police Chief Darin Parke said Friday.

Police locked down a block surrounding the home and conducted a yard-to-yard search for suspects Friday night, according to Parke. Neighbors say police were searching the area around their homes much of the night.

DeHart said Saturday evening no suspects have been detained. “Public safety is not at risk at this point, I can tell you that,” DeHart told KSL.

RELATED: 2 killed in South Ogden shooting, no suspects in custody, police say

Police cordoned off 3636 Ogden Ave., where they say the shooting took place, as well as the home immediately to the north. As of late Saturday afternoon, CSI technicians were still processing the scene. The homicide task force from the Weber County Attorney’s office is assisting.

DeHart said South Ogden Police were still not releasing the names of the victims.

“We are still working on getting the next of kin notified,” he said Saturday. “Detectives are working on that. I was told they have not notified all next of kin.”

Police did not have an update on the victim taken to the hospital. “The last I understood, he was still in the hospital and alive,” DeHart said.

MH 120916 Homicide 01

Police investigate the scene of a double homicide located near the intersection of 36th St. and Ogden Ave. on Friday, Dec. 9, 2016, in South Ogden.

Neighbor Sam Martinez has been friends since junior high school with the man who lived in the house to the north of 3636 Ogden Ave., and says he’s been unable to contact him since he saw him Friday evening.

Martinez and his adult son, Cyrus Martinez, had been at the friend’s house Friday evening. When they tried to drop by Saturday afternoon, police turned them away.

“We were down at (his) house earlier (Friday), watching movies and having a few drinks,” Sam Martinez said.

The three of them came back to the Martinez home around 7:30 p.m. Friday, but then the friend said he was going home.

“He said he was feeling tired and his back hurt, so he said ‘I’ll see you tomorrow’ and went home,” said Mabel Martinez, Sam Martinez’s mother. “I tried calling him today, but he wouldn’t answer his phone.”

The Martinezes say four “young kids” have been living in the home at 3636 Ogden Ave. for about two years.

“They never bothered nobody,” Cyrus Martinez said of the four men. “They had a few parties, but they were minding their own business. They weren’t causing trouble.”

Sam Martinez worries his friend may have stopped at the home where police say the shooting occurred.

“I’m thinking he left here and stopped at the boys’ house,” he said.

“But why doesn’t he answer the door or the phone?” Mabel Martinez asked.

The Martinez family just wants to make sure their friend and neighbor is safe.

“I hope he didn’t get hurt too,” Cyrus Martinez said.

“I hope he didn’t stop at the kids’ place to check in on them,” Sam Martinez said.

“He should at least answer the phone and let us know he’s OK,” Mabel Martinez added.

Contact Mark Saal at 801-625-4272, or Follow him on Twitter at @Saalman. Like him on Facebook at

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!