Wednesday , October 22, 2014 - 3:04 PM
ROY — A 35-year-old Roy man is dead following a standoff with police at his home Tuesday morning.
At about 4 a.m., officers were dispatched to 3779 W. 5300 South to check on a man who had called a suicide hotline, according to Detective Matt Gwynn, the public information officer for Roy Police Department. A negotiator from the SWAT team was then brought in, and Gwynn says a 6- to 6 ½-hour standoff ensued.
“At some point those negotiations failed and unfortunately the SWAT team was involved in a shooting, and the subject is now deceased,” Gwynn said.
The shots were fired at about 11:15 a.m., according to Gwynn. He said he doesn’t know if the man fired a shot, or even how many shots were fired.
“I have no details regarding the time when shots were actually fired,” Gwynn said.
Gwynn did say the Roy Police Department’s graveyard shift was held over due to the incident, and that officers from other agencies, as well as the Ogden Metro SWAT team assisted.
One of the officers involved in the shooting was a Roy police officer assigned to the SWAT team; Gwynn didn’t know the jurisdictions of the other officers involved.
A neighbor, Ron Smith, said he’d seen police officers in the neighborhood all morning. Then, just after 11 a.m., Smith was out in his front yard when he heard six or seven gunshots.
“It seem like there was one shot, and then a pause, and then four or five shots after that, that were very rapid,” Smith said. “The pause after the first shot was really brief. After that I went inside and shut the door.”
Smith says once the shooting started, he saw a police officer who had been standing at a distance quickly start to run toward the gunshots, then immediately stop.
“I never saw him draw his gun,” Smith said. “You could tell whatever had happened was pretty much over at that time.”
Smith says he did not know the neighbor, but he also had never noticed any kind of trouble at that house before.
Gwynn said his department was not releasing the name of the man because it hadn’t been determined whether his next-of-kin had been contacted. Gwynn said there were people in the home when the man made the call to the suicide hotline, but they left shortly after the investigation began earlier this morning. He said it did not appear to be a hostage situation.
Since this was an officer-involved shooting, the Weber County attorney’s office has taken charge of the investigation, which is protocol,
“It’s unfortunate the way this case ended,” Gwynn said. “We encourage those having suicidal thoughts or tendencies to contact a physician or expert that can talk them through it. In this particular case he attempted to do that — it’s unfortunate and sad that it failed.”
Weber County Attorney Dee Smith said he does not know any of the specifics of the shooting, but his office will release information “once a complete investigation is done.”
“I do not know at this time what led to the shooting,” Attorney Smith said.
He did say all officers who fired their weapons have been put on paid administrative leave, which is standard protocol.
Attorney Smith said he does not know how many officers were involved and also how many people were in the home.
Contact Mark Saal at 801-625-4272, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter at @Saalman. Like him on Facebook at facebook.com/SEMarkSaal.
See Also: Our View: Info needed on Roy shooting
Sign up for e-mail news updates.