Layton Subway employee did not drug officer's soda, officials confirm

Tuesday , October 11, 2016 - 10:53 AM76 comments

LORETTA PARK, Standard-Examiner Staff

UPDATE: Family considers lawsuit after son absolved over accusation he drugged Layton police officer’s drink

EDITOR’S NOTE: This story has been edited to provide the correct first name of Randall Richards, Tanis Ukena’s attorney. The Standard-Examiner regrets the error.

LAYTON — Layton police will not seek to file charges against an 18-year-old man who they accused of adding drugs to a Subway drink, according to a press release issued Tuesday, Oct. 11.

Police met with Tanis Lloyd Ukena and his family about the case on Tuesday, according to the press release. Police are not making any other statements concerning the case except for what was issued in the release. 

Watch a video from a press conference with Tanis Ukena, his parents and his lawyers below.

According to the release, state crime lab personnel initially notified investigators there was a “presence of a foreign substance in the officer's drink,” he purchased on Aug. 8, at a Subway drive-thru, 1142 E. Route 193 in Layton.

Crime lab personnel did further testing “in an effort to duplicate and confirm the results. The initial results could not be duplicated,” and “they are unable to confirm that contaminates were in the officer's drink,” the release said.

Ukena was booked on Aug. 8 in the Davis County Jail on one count of surreptitious administering of poisonous substance, a second-degree felony. He has since been released.

His attorney, Randall Richards, had told the Associated Press that Ukena is a good kid who doesn’t have any motivation to target a police officer.

Police wrote that the department will not seek charges against Ukena and “believe this information should go out immediately in the best interest of Tanis Ukena and also the Subway restaurant.”

Police also thanked the Subway ownership and management for cooperating through the investigation.

“The Department would also like to express our appreciation for the patience of Tanis and his family during this investigation,” police said.

You can reach reporter Loretta Park or at 801-625-4252. Follow her on Twitter@LorettaPark SE or like her on Facebook.

Sign up for e-mail news updates.