Another student claims to have had sex with Altice

Monday , August 04, 2014 - 11:02 AM

Standard-Examiner staff

FARMINGTON  -- Former English teacher Brianne Altice has been charged with three additional first-degree felonies after another student claimed he had sex with her.

The three-day jury trial that was to run in September has been canceled.

Altice, 35, of South Weber, has a hearing on Friday in 2nd District Court.

Prosecutors filed amended charges on July 2. She is now charged with four counts of rape and two counts of forcible sodomy. She was originally charged with three counts of rape and one count of forcible sodomy. 

Her attorney, Ed Brass, filed a motion to have preliminary hearing scheduled to hear testimony concerning the new charges. 

According to court documents, investigators interviewed a male who said when he was 17 years old between April 1, 2013 and June 30, 2013, Altice “had sexual intercourse with him and performed oral sex.”  This male is in addition to the male who testified in preliminary hearing in February that he had a sexual relationship with Altice when he was 16 years old and attended Davis High School, where she taught.

According to court documents filed by prosecutors, investigators learned of the second student, the day after Altice was arrested in October of 2013. He disclosed to an assistant principal and to a Kaysville police officer he had sexual intercourse with Altice once at his home sometime between April 2013 and June of 2013 when she was his English teacher. 

Altice’s attorney, Ed Brass, filed a motion on June 30 to have all statements Altice made to police when she was questioned on Oct. 28, 2013, to be suppressed because her rights were violated.

Altice was home caring for her children when eight to 10 officers, all men, arrived at her home on Oct. 28, 2013, according to the motion. 

According to the motion, officers did not get permission to enter her home, but “insisted that they be given access and entered her home.”

Brass also wrote that during the four hours Altice was questioned, officers “refused to allow her to tend to her children and insisted that she speak to them or she would be deemed uncooperative.” 

Altice asked for an attorney several times and was denied access to one, according to the document. She also was not allowed to use the rest room, not allowed to use her phone and she was also not allowed to leave her home. 

Officers were also “wandering through the house and taking photographs without permission,” according to the document.

Altice “was terrified by the sheer number of officers and the fact there were no female officers,” Brass wrote. 

“Her statements were coerced and involuntary and were taken in violation of her so-called Miranda rights,” Brass wrote. 

Contact reporter Loretta Park at 801-625-4252 or Follow her on Twitter at @LorettaParkSE. Like her on Facebook at

Sign up for e-mail news updates.

Related Stories