2017 local elections: When, where to vote, what to bring, ballot drop-off, more

Thursday , November 02, 2017 - 5:00 AM

JANAE FRANCIS, Standard-Examiner Staff

Wondering what you need to know before hitting the polls Tuesday, Nov. 7, in Northern Utah?

Here are the answers to some common questions, including when and where to vote, what to bring with you, where to drop off ballots, which candidates you can write in, polling places’ busiest times and more.

Q: Do I have to be registered to vote?

A: Yes. The deadline to register was Oct. 31. Last year, voters were able to register the day of the election. That option no longer is available, officials said.

Q: What are the rules for dropping off or mailing my ballot?

A: If you are registered to vote, you should have received a ballot by mail. If you’d like, you can vote with that ballot by taking it to a drop-off location or mailing it to the address designated on the ballot.

If you’re mailing your ballot, make sure it is sealed in the provided return envelope and postmarked by Monday, Nov. 6.

In Weber County, secure drop-off locations are located at several city and county office buildings, as well as county library branches. You can see these locations in the map below or here. Ballots may be dropped off in Weber County until 8 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 7. Voters who want to drop off their ballots on Election Day will be able to do so without waiting in line, according to Ryan Cowley, Weber County’s election director.

In Davis County, ballots may be dropped off at any city office building until 5 p.m. Monday, Nov. 6. Find a full list of locations here.

In Morgan County, ballots may be dropped off at the clerk’s office, 48 W. Young Street in Morgan, on Election Day. Stacy Netz Clark, Morgan County clerk, said voters don’t need to turn in their mail-in ballots in order to vote as a computer database shows who already has voted by mail.

Q: What if I want to vote in person on Election Day?

A: If you decide to vote in person on Election Day, you’ll need to go to a polling location in your county. When you arrive, you’ll be asked to provide a valid form of ID to a poll worker and sign the official voting register. The poll worker will give you a card to insert into an electronic voting machine or a paper ballot, depending on which polling place you go to.

Follow the instructions on the ballot. For electronic ballots, simply touch your selection on the screen. For paper ballots, completely fill in the ovals next to your selection. After you are done voting, return the electronic voting machine card to the poll worker or deposit your paper ballot into the drop box.

Q: What should I bring with me to vote in person?

A: You will need a valid form of ID to vote at polling places.

If you have an unexpired ID that has your name and photo on it, that’s all you’ll need. Valid forms of ID include a Utah driver’s license, an ID card issued by the state of Utah or the U.S. government, a Utah concealed carry permit, a U.S. passport or a tribal ID card.

If you don’t have a form of ID listed above, you will need two other forms of ID. These forms of ID can include current utility bills or bank statements, a Social Security card, a U.S. military ID card, a birth certificate, a paycheck, a Utah hunting or fishing license, an employer or university ID card, a Utah vehicle registration, a check issued by Utah or the U.S. government, a tribal treaty card or a Bureau of Indian Affairs card. None of these forms of ID can be expired. Your name must be printed on them, and they must prove where you live.

Q: When do polling places open and close?

A: Polling places open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. on Election Day. If you are in line by 8 p.m., you will get to vote.

Q: Where do I vote?

A: If you live in Weber or Davis county, you can go to any polling location within your county to vote in person or drop off your ballot, according to county clerks’ websites. You can find the polling location closest to you in the maps below.

If you live in Morgan County, the polling location is 48 W. Young Street in Morgan. 

Weber County:

NOTE: On the interactive map below, only the purple building icons are Election Day voting centers. Red and green markers are drop-off locations only.

Davis County:

An interactive map of polling locations is available at daviscountyutah.gov/clerk-auditor/elections2/.

The locations are t: Bountiful Library, 725 S. Main; Centerville Elementary, 350 N. 100 East; Clearfield City Hall, 55 South State Street; Clinton Recreation Building, 1651 W. 2300 North; Ellison Park Elementary, 800 N. Cold Creek Way in Layton; Farmington Community Center, 120 S. Main Street; Fruit Heights City Hall, 910 S. Mountain Road; Kaysville City Hall, 23 E. Center Street; Layton High School, 440 Wasatch Dr.; North Salt Lake City Hall, 10 E. Center Street; South Weber Family Activity Center, 1181 E. Lester Street; Sunset City Hall, 200 W. 1300 North; Syracuse Community Center, 1912 W. 1900 Sout; West Bountiful City Hall, 550 N. 800 West; West Point City Hall, 3200 W. 300 North, and Woods Cross City Hall, 1555 S. 800 West.

Q: Do I have to go to a specific polling place?

A: No. If you live in Weber or Davis County, registered voters can go to any polling location within their county.

Q: What times are expected to be the busiest on Election Day?

A: According to the Utah Lt. Governor’s Office, peak times at Utah polling places are usually early in the morning, from 7 to 8 a.m.; around lunchtime, from noon to 1 p.m.; and in the evening, from 5 to 7 p.m.

Q: Can I just vote for everyone in one party?

A: Yes. Utah ballots give voters the option to straight party vote, but doing so is optional.

This option, if you choose to take advantage of it, lets you vote for all Republican or all Democratic candidates by just filling in one bubble on your ballot.

Q: Do I have to vote for everything on my ballot?

A: No. You’re not required to vote for everything on the ballot for it to be counted. You can vote or not vote for as many ballot issues as you prefer.

Q: Where can I find more information on the candidates, issues, etcetera?

A: For information that is specific to your county, visit vote.utah.gov and enter your address. This will supply you with your sample ballot where you can view candidate profiles and impartial analysis of ballot issues.

Q: Are there any election laws I should know about?

A: State election laws prohibit your ballot being turned in by anyone but you.

You might have heard it’s illegal to take a photo of your ballot, but that’s not the case in Utah. Feel free to take a selfie with your ballot this election season if you’d like.

If you are scheduled to work the entire time polling places are open, employers are required by state law to give employees up to two hours off to vote on Election Day, if it’s requested in advance.

Q: What should I do if I think my rights were violated or there were irregularities at my polling place?

A: Call 866-OUR-VOTE if you feel your rights have been violated. There will be lawyers on hand to answer Election Day questions and concerns about voting procedures.

Q: Who should I contact if I have more questions about voting?

A: If you live in Weber County, contact County Clerk/Auditor Ricky Hatch at rhatch@co.weber.ut.us or 801-399-8400. The Weber County Clerk/Auditor’s Office is located at 2380 Washington Blvd., #320, Ogden.

If you live in Davis County, contact County Clerk/Auditor Curtis Koch at ckoch@co.davis.ut.us or 801-451-3324. The Davis County Clerk/Auditor’s Office is located at 61 South Main, Farmington.

If you live in Morgan County, contact County Clerk Stacy Netz at sclark@morgan-county.net or 801-845-4011.

If you live in Box Elder County, contact Marla Young at myoung@boxeldercounty.org or (435) 734-3393.

You may reach reporter JaNae Francis at jfrancis@standard.net or 801-625-4228. Follow her on Twitter at @JaNaeFrancisSE or like her on Facebook at facebook.com/SEJaNaeFrancis.

Sign up for e-mail news updates.